FUE Hair Transplant in Los Angeles
Follicular Unit Extraction is one of two primary methods of obtaining hair follicles, naturally occurring groups of one to four hairs, for hair transplantation. The other method is called strip harvesting.
The follicular units obtained by either method are the basic building blocks of follicular unit transplantation (FUT). Follicular unit extraction was first described in 1988 by Masumi Inaba in Japan, who introduced the use of a 1-mm needle for extracting follicular units.
The survival of follicular units upon extraction from the scalp is one of the key variables of successful hair transplantation. If follicular units are transected in the extraction process, there is a greater likelihood that they will not survive the transplant, and the hair transplant will fail. This is why Best Hair Transplant employs one of the most renowned hair transplant surgeons in the country.
While FUT procedures using strip-harvesting of follicular units typically guarantee a large number of non-transected follicular units, FUE procedures can, and often do, transect grafts, rendering them useless in a transplant.
FUE harvesting of grafts may cause “pit” scarring, small, round, and typically white scars in the patient’s donor area where the grafts have been removed. This is why the team at Best Hair Transplant offers complimentary consultations. We can assess each patient’s needs and determine which procedure or combination of procedures will be best for each client’s needs.
Follicular unit extraction generally has a quicker patient recovery time and significantly lower post-operative discomfort than follicular unit transplantation. Additionally, FUE provides an alternative to FUT when the scalp is too tight for a strip excision.
Los Angeles FUE Hair Transplant
Suppose you are among the many men and women searching for a solution to lost or thinning hair. In that case, you might be interested in learning about follicular unit extraction (FUE) hair restoration in Los Angeles. A minimally invasive procedure, FUE can restore the appearance of your hair using your natural hair follicles.
FUE is one of the two main procedures used to obtain hair follicles for patients who want their real hair in thinning areas. The other procedure is called strip harvesting or the strip method. Even though both can be used for the same larger procedure, which is follicular unit transplantation (FUT), there are many differences between them. For certain patients, one procedure may be better than another. On the other hand, some patients may benefit from both procedures.
What Is Follicular Unit Transplantation?
Modern hair transplantation, which preceded today’s FUE hair transplantation, was first developed in the 1950s by a doctor named Dr. Orentreich, who used 4 mm punches to remove follicles from one area of the scalp to transplant to another.
In the 1990s, the modern follicular unit hair transplantation emerged, and this was when the transplantation of naturally growing individual hair follicles was first used and established.
Today, the strip method and FUE hair restoration techniques are used to harvest hair follicles for transplantation.
FUE Hair Transplant in Los Angeles vs. the Strip Method
FUE hair restoration can often be used when the strip method is not an option, and vice versa.
|FUE Hair Transplant in Los Angeles
|The Strip Method
|Using a surgical micro punch tool, Loosens and separates intact hair follicles from the scalp’s skin.
|Involves securing donor harvesting for hair transplants by taking a single strip of hair follicles from the donor area of the head.
|Does not leave a long, visible scar on the scalp. Sometimes leaves very faint pitting but no long scar.
|Often leaves a linear scar across the head several inches long. However, advancements in the procedure have resulted in thinner, smaller scars.
|Ideal for Short Haircuts
|Yes. No noticeable scars make it suitable for people with short hair.
|Not ideal for individuals wanting to wear their hair very short due to visible scarring.
|It uses small micro punches (0.6 to 0.8mm) to remove hair follicles. These punches are too small to be noticeable.
|The tool size can vary, but typically larger than that of FUE as it is designed to extract a strip of hair follicles. The exact size could depend on the size of the area being harvested.
|Several Donor Hair
|It may be limited by how much hair can be harvested using a micro punch tool.
|Produces a plentiful number of hair follicles for transplantation as it harvests a strip of hair from the donor area.
|Often used when the strip method is not an option.
|Often used when a FUE hair transplant is not an option.
What Are the Benefits of an FUE Hair Transplant in Los Angeles?
There are several advantages from both the patient’s and the surgeon’s perspectives to proceeding with an FUE hair restoration procedure as opposed to a strip method technique for follicle removal.
Some of the benefits of an FUE hair transplant in Los Angeles include:
- Fewer required staff members
- Less equipment
- Minimal preparation and recovery time
- An easier procedure for the patient
- The ability to wear very short hair with no visible scar
- The option to use body hair for the transplant if needed
- Almost invisible scars
In addition, patients do not need to revisit the surgeon for suture removal since no stitches or sutures are required.
FUE Transplantation & Restoration in Los Angeles
Who Is a Candidate for FUE Hair Restoration in Los Angeles?
Many people are excellent candidates for FUE hair transplants, with few exceptions. If any of the following indications apply to you, you might be an ideal candidate for an FUE hair transplant in Los Angeles:
- You have androgenetic alopecia in a Norwood class 3 pattern
- You want to wear your hair extremely short
- You don’t want to have the linear scar from a strip method procedure visible
- You have limited hair loss
- You only require small sessions
- You have androgenetic alopecia in small balding areas
- The skin on your scalp is too tight for the strip method
- You have limited cosmetic areas you want to treat
- You have limited areas of alopecia that are secondary to skin conditions
- You want to treat a strip method scar from a previous strip method procedure
- You tend to heal from injuries with thickened scars
- You are an athlete who needs to resume vigorous activity as soon as possible
Additionally, if you fear pain or have scarring from trauma, past surgical procedures, or dermatologic conditions of the scalp, an FUE hair transplant in Los Angeles may be an excellent solution for you.
While these factors may be characteristics that apply to you, there are others that a surgeon who specializes in FUE hair restoration will need to determine. This is why the best place to start your FUE hair restoration journey is with a consultation at Best Hair Transplant.
Who Might Not Be a Candidate for an FUE Hair Transplant in Los Angeles?
Some people may not be candidates for this type of hair transplant procedure. If any of the following apply to you, another method may be more suitable to help you achieve your hair restoration goals:
- You don’t have enough donor hair follicles
- You have scars that make an FUE hair transplant problematic
- You are not able to withstand long or multiple treatment sessions
- You are not willing to cut your hair in the donor area short
In addition, if you have larger bald areas that need over 2,500 grafted follicles, which a doctor can confirm, an alternative method other than FUE hair restoration in Los Angeles may be a better option for collecting the follicles for your hair transplant.
What Happens During a Follicular Unit Extraction?
- Local anesthesia is used for the procedure.
- Upon arrival, the hair on the back of the head is trimmed to 1-2mm in length.
- Patients lie in a prone position on a special procedure chair or table, with staff ensuring comfort.
- The anesthesia solution contains Xylocaine and is diluted with saline.
- Anesthesia is applied over the entire area that contains the hair follicles to be transplanted.
- Follicles are extracted from the donor area using specialized micro-punching instruments under 2.5-5x magnification.
- The surgeon scores the skin with an instrument and turns the instrument to loosen the hair follicle.
- Gently, the surgeon removes the graft with small forceps and preserves it in a cool lactate solution or saline.
- Extracted grafts usually contain one to four, sometimes five or six hairs.
- This part of the procedure is the most tedious and time-consuming.
- After the extraction process, the grafts are implanted in their new location.
- Extreme care is taken to prevent damage to the follicles.
- There’s no requirement for sutures with FUE, which means no special scalp care is needed.
- Without proper care, follicles can easily become transected.
What Is the Recovery Time Like for FUE Hair Restoration?
After an FUE hair transplant in Los Angeles, discomfort can usually be managed with over-the-counter medications, and most patients report minimal or no pain. Unlike the strip method, which requires stitches and can lead to extensive bleeding, FUE doesn’t necessitate special scalp care or pose risks of nerve damage or permanent discomfort.
The healing time is significantly shorter with FUE, with the donor area healing in just seven days compared to two to three weeks for the strip method. The recipient area heals in about ten days for FUE versus at least 14 days for the strip method. Additionally, patients can return to vigorous activities, such as exercise, in as little as one to two weeks after their FUE procedure, and most return to work the next day.
|FUE Hair Transplant in Los Angeles
|Controlled with over-the-counter medications
|Minimal to none
|Donor Area Healing Time
|Recipient Area Healing Time
|Return to Work
|Usually, the day after the procedure
|Return to Vigorous Activities
|1 to 2 weeks post-procedure
Caring for Your Scalp Following FUE Hair Restoration in Los Angeles
Caring for your scalp following an FUE hair restoration procedure in Los Angeles is straightforward, but specific guidelines must be followed for optimal healing and results. The following table provides a detailed timeline and corresponding care instructions to help ensure a smooth recovery:
|Care Instructions for FUE Hair Restoration in Los Angeles
|A Few Hours After
|First Day After
|During the First Four Days
|Ten Days After
|After Four Days
|After One Month
|After Two Months
Ready to Learn More About FUE Hair Restoration in Los Angeles?
At Best Hair Transplant, we offer affordable hair transplant solutions, both surgical and non-surgical, including FUE hair transplants. For almost 20 years, we’ve helped patients look and feel their best with hair restoration by expert surgeons.
If you’re interested in learning more about FUE restoration and what this innovative procedure can do for you, contact us today to schedule a consultation.